Thursday, January 27, 2011

Twenty Eleven


I am writing this blog now during a blackout on our mountain. All the electricity is out and we are in total darkness. Here and there I can see the slight flickering of a candle in a window, or the sweep of a flashlight light. Cracking fireworks are randomly being set off, some people taking the opportunity to for attention. Someone is playing a trumpet up and down the street…

It has been a very long long time since my last post, and so much has happened, I am not sure where to start! But it has to start somewhere.

The Holiday season away from home was a very new experience. I was away from my usual family and far far away from any snow or ice. I was also missing a significant amount of Christmas songs and Holiday carols... which I really do enjoy. But just the same as with Thanksgiving, I got to participate in making my own Holiday with my loved ones around me. Christmas was small; just my Grandpa, my cousin Felipe, his girlfriend and I. We had a small gift exchange, followed by a huge meal, and then attending an even huger party at a friend’s house that lasted all night. New years was even stranger- since Brazilian parties don’t usually get started till well after midnight, we almost forgot to watch the clocks for the New Year! Luckily someone remembered and we were able to open the champagne in time. Everyone was dressed in white or light colors, representing the wish for peace in the coming year. At midnight hundreds of fireworks filled up the sky, the booms ringing through the mountains so loudly I thought that at first, it was a war! The Brazilian tradition I found the most beautiful though was the first thing everyone did was to turn to the people next to you, give them a hug and two kisses, and wish them “Tudo de bom para VocĂȘ,” or “I wish all is well for you” (more or less the translation…). I knew very few people at the party (1 person) but not a single person missed me in wishing me well and giving me kisses. And that is how I welcomed in the New Year- with hugs, kisses, and making new friends. God has blessed me with so many wonderful experiences in the last year- I can only imagine what 2011 will bring.


Because EVERYONE loves cute doggy pictures:

Rasta swimming in the pool with his favorite food: a coconut!!
This dog is my new love.

1 comment:

  1. ahh this post gave me this chills. i love how generous and loving brazilians are it really makes me feel good. i am so glad you were ushered in with kisses and hugs. beautiful beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete