Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Crux

Brazil.
This is the word that has been occupying my mind for months. It has become a feeling, a growing anticipation; building, building. And now it is almost here. The end of the best summer of my life is only the beginning of a great adventure- and I wouldn't have it any other way. Let me start where it should start.

Under the Southern Cross. I chose this as the name of my blog for many reasons. The Crux (latin for cross) is more familiarly known as the Southern Cross, a constellation visible in the southern hemisphere. I remember the first time my Dad pointed it out to me, as we stood together on my grandparents' back patio looking up at the night sky above PetrĂ³polis. Most of you will recognize it as the constellation on the Australian, New Zealand, and Brazilian flags.
This symbol has since fascinated me completely, and has come to mean many things in my life. First of all, it is set in the heavens, where God is always watching over me and guiding my faith. Second, it is set above my favorite place, Brazil, where I first stood to wonder at it. I feel its familiarity and know that even though I have lost loved ones, I will meet them again. Finally, the cross is a symbol of redemption, grace, and renewing of the soul. This is what I am set out to do as I make my way through a new place and culture- finding new meaning to my life and learn all that I can from this rich country. This last month is full of preparation, but for myself, it is mainly the preparation to say good-bye to the Ali I once and have been. I know not what is to come, nor am I ever going to be ready for it- but in this vast universe, I am not alone.

Since I have no idea what my internet access will be as I travel, I will soon be posting my official itinerary and location descriptions (spoiler- IT. IS. BEAUTIFUL). As I go I will be updating my blog rather than sending out e-mails, so this is the site you want to be checking (not facebook- that is the last place to try to contact me on). Now it's time for me to start on my readings, which I really should have been doing all summer....

Sinceramente

2 comments:

  1. So cool, Ali! I'm eager to follow along...it sounds like it is going to be the utmost unveiling experience for you, and I am so happy that you are ready for this exciting opportunity.

    -Brigit

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Birgie. :) Your writing is already making me jealous and you haven't even left yet. Have fun and don't be afraid to look stupid if it means trying something new and exciting!!! I will be living vicariously through you this semester because mine will be boring and stressful. HAVE FUN AND I LOVE YOU

    Natalie

    ReplyDelete