Monday, August 16, 2010

Maybe This Time

Today I am enjoying a perfect morning at my home on the farm. I am sitting eating breakfast and tea outside on the patio, watching the horses graze in the pasture and occasionally feeling my chocolate lab nuzzle her face in my lap; begging for a some petting and a kiss (or maybe it's my toast). In moments like this, one cannot help but think about memories, or a anticipating the future.
I realized that in my first post, I had left out the most important part about this trip:
Why?
Why Brazil? Why now, why this program?
Growing up, my imagination was always fueled by my dad's stories. Adventures in Rio de Janeiro, the mountains, the islands and the ocean. Then when we would travel to these same spots, my brother and I sought out our own adventures, often getting hurt by some crazy tropical bug or exotic stinging jellyfish. But in those short weeks my craving was never satisfied. I never felt entitled to the gift of duel citizenship. What was I if I had never truly experienced it? If I had never sought out the the pulse; the heartbeat of an exotic and compelling country.
My inspiration for being a Conservation Biology major actually came from my uncle, who works for the Brazilian government to help preserve the natural forests and ecosystems in the country. His worked has helped save many natural resources from being exploited and ruined. What I didn't realize until I got into school, was exactly how difficult this is. How does a growing country balance a growing population, poverty and sustainability? How do they ensure that the next generation will be able to survive? These questions have driven my passion towards sustainability and conservation. I realized my dream to help cities foster a city ethic: building communities and gardens to be both a part of the earth and civilization. This is something that has sprung up from learning about American cities and food industry. The insensitivity everyone has to where our goods come from, where food is processed and how. I want to travel to other countries to compare these concepts. My program through Antioch will help me explore these ideas as we travel between huge, bursting cities and the small sites in the Amazon. The vast differences between economic status' and social mannerisms. Finally, how does the concept and nature of wilderness affect people hundreds of miles away? How about those among it?

Now I am answering the call and allowing myself to be led away. But my greatest heartbreak is knowing that I am just one year too late.
In the last two months of 2009, my dad lost first his sister, then his mother. We all were at peace with the passing of Grandma Maria Branscombe, who had lived a very long and full life helping people around the world. But the greatest sorrow was losing my Aunt Patsy to cancer. She was graceful and beautiful, even in her last month of life. Every day I think about my trip, I feel a heavy place in my heart, knowing that exactly one year ago I could have been there to say goodbye. I am so blessed to be living with my Grandpa Frank and cousin Felipe after my program is over. The hearts and spirits of our loved ones still linger as we keep them alive, and I plan on making everything count. Life is too short to pass up this opportunity to explore the world and where my family came from. I am not saying this is where it all begins- but this is where it will continue with fervor.
I am guided by my grandma's last words to me from my final trip.
"Ali, someday I will be gone, but I will smile down upon you from heaven and bless you."

Dedicado a Maria e PatrĂ­cia.
A Princesa PatrĂ­cia

No comments:

Post a Comment