Friday, May 6, 2011

For my many Mothers


Happy Mothers day to all mothers, grandmothers, and soon-to-be-mothers! Today is a very special day to thank those that have given us life. I would like to take this opportunity then, to not only thank my Mom, but to thank the many mothers/women who have helped me out during this trip when I needed one.



To Juliana, my first Brazilian mother:Who took me into her home and made me a part of her family. It is not easy being a host parent, but Juliana and her husband made it seem like a
breeze. They shared their lovely house, animals, food and family and made me feel like I belonged. Juliana, you are a magnificent cook and a loving mother. You are beautiful and fashionable, but even more, you are a fighter- who refused to let a broken leg get in the way of you running your household. The love in your house was inspiring, and I hope to someday be a successful woman like you. Thank you.


To Regina, a fadinha da mata:Who has been my spiritual guide and comforter. She was the first one to come when my grandpa got sick, and who's limitless advice and insights guide me
daily. I have learned more about God from her than from any book or sermon. Regina is a living embodiment of God's love and kindness: when she sees even an insect fluttering or stumbling in her path, she gently picks it up and sets it aside.
Even more than this, she makes it a point to help me set up my path and works tirelessly to guide young people like me. Though she has no children of her own, she has adopted the world. Regina, you are a young soul who blesses everyone that you encounter, especially me. I will never forget the prayer you said with my brother and I- "Where two people are gathered, there is God. God is here with us right now, and so is PatrĂ­cia, your grandmother, and all of those who are gone before us..." Thank you for your empowerment and prayers.


To Suely, my other Brazilian Mother:
Who welcomed my brother and I into her house and shared her beautiful memories of our Dad, Aunt, and grandparents. Her children were equally as welcoming and we had the most amazing time hiking, swimming and sightseeing in Rio with them. Her house is like a humming hive, between the 5 dogs, the chatty parrot, cat and a surprisingly speedy turtle, things are never dull. This family really proves how wonderful and kind Brazilians are. Suely, in your home, I know I will always find a delicious meal, a place to sleep, and loving arms to invite me in. Thank you.


Elaine, my Brazilian Sister:We have heard it enough times that we have just started to say yes, we are sisters. Though she is actually my boss, I do think that if I ever had an older sister, it would be her. She is beautiful funny and clever, but always ready to loosen up an have some fun (she also has my same love for red lipstick).
Elaine, I love hanging out with you and am delighted to finally have a "sister." My only hope to repay your kindness is when your daughter grows up and I get to take her out and corrupt (I mean, nurture) her!


Mother's day would not be complete with out me paying homage to my two wonderful grandmothers: Grandma Ruth and Grandmama Maria.

Grandma Ruth, who helped me sew both of my prom dresses until they were perfect, who made my baptismal gown and graduation cake, and who's fish fry beats out any restaurant in Wisconsin, I owe so much to.
And my Grandmama Maria, I did not get to know, but through her immense courage she saved several lives during the second world war, then traveled across the world to an unknown land where she brought up her family. Her life is truly inspiring.




And finally, to the most important one of all, my own Mom. She was the one who taught me that I could choose to have a bad day, or choose to have a good attitude and make it better. She took time out of her own life to homeschool my brother and I, but knew her own limits to choose when to send us to school. She nurtured my love of reading, encouraged imagination and creation through art, and supported my individuality with my style ideas. My Mom taught me how to respect others, but even more importantly, she taught me how to respect myself. I have always admired my Mom for her patience, but lately I have also admired her growth and courage to stand up for what is right (even when
it is not what her friends or family think).
Mom, you have been there through every step of my life, even now when we are miles apart. I am reminded of you daily, especially when everyone asks me "And don't you miss your mother?" I miss our talks together, and our horseback-rides; I miss painting our nails and watching "The Importance of Being Earnest;" what's more, I still cannot go shopping without your help! But through it all, thank you for your support through this last year, as difficult as it has been.

I love you Mom. Happy Mothers day.

1 comment:

  1. wow ali this is beautiful. my eyes and heart are swollen with love for you and every wonderful woman who has helped you on your path. love you lady!

    ReplyDelete